Did you know spring is the best time to catch needed home repairs?
Spring time is here, and this winter was a big one. Time to get out and do a little inspection of your home. Inspect the following:
- Examine Roof Shingles- Examine roof shingles to see if any were lost or damaged during winter.
- Probe the Wood Trim - Use a screwdriver to probe the wood trim around windows, doors, railings and decks. Make repairs now before the spring rains do more damage to the exposed wood.
- Check the Gutters - Check for loose or leaky gutters. Improper drainage can lead to water in the basement or crawl space.
- Examine the Chimney - Examine the exterior of the chimney for signs of damage. Have the flue cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep.
- Inspect the Concrete - Inspect concrete slabs for signs of cracks or movement. All exterior slabs except pool decks should drain away from the home's foundation.
- Check Outside Faucets - Check outside hose faucets for freeze damage. While you're at it, check the garden hose for dry rot.
- Replace batteries in smoke/carbon dioxide detectors.
- Repair/replace damaged window screens.
- Check and clean dryer vent, other exhaust vents to exterior of home.